Since I made the last post, I have done a lot of inspecting on the Rv. WOW, is all I can say, Major issues with the decking and rubber roofing put on. I mean major. When we got the rig back i just thought it was the bubbles in the roofing, not so. Horrible job underneath, not much was done the way it should have been.

When you take off a rubber roof on an Rv you have to take all the mouldings off where the roof ends, sides, front and back. Then you can rip the rubber off, and expose the wooden decking,. Then you put a new rubber roof on and put back the side mouldings, and the ones on the front and back. Well thats not how they did it.

After all my inspecting I found out that they did take off the front and back mouldings, but the sides they did not. They may have loosened the screws and all that to get the old rubber out, but thats it. Hard to picture, well see below.

The picture above shows the front mouldings, they were taken off and put back on, except for the very ends of each side

The back moulding reapplied, what about the left side being so crooked, the right side having a scab piece and the middle piece all banged up and chaulked to be jesus.

Left side
Right side. What hapened.

If you notice the left side picture you will can see how far the side of the Rv metal cap is out of wack. They never bothered to put it at a ninety degree angle. So putting on the rear moulding is off to. Then came the middle part which went on and did not line up into the back panel of the Rv, so they banged it in and chaulked it. In doing all that because the left is so far out, the right moulding cap is short, so they just added a scab.see that the side of the Rv. I think a blind guy did it.

The top sides of the Rv have a metal piece that is on top of the plywood and goes over the side and onto the first couple inchs of the fiberglass sides, this is all then stapled in place. The left side of ours had to be replaced from the hail damage. To do it right you have to take off the gutter rail, they didn’t, they just stuffed the metal into the top of the channel as best they could. So this means when the rubber roof goes on, they also just stuffed it into the channel as best they could, then chaulked the heck out of it.

This is what we got all along the length

On the top of the decking as i mentioned they put the metal corner piece over the plywood. Well, when they put the new plywood on the roof, they ended it short of the metal, which should have been lifted and the plywood put underneath.

Plywood ends at my finger ,should be under the metal strip


Friday July 30th we met with one of the service managers. The meeting lasted 30 minutes, we went armed with a 32 page repair book.

When we got done, there wasn’t much they could say, they really messed up. In the end we were assured that all will be repaired and fixed the way it should be. Also they waived our deductable, and will pay for a hotel for the time the repairs will be done. They will also put in two new fans and a few other things we asked for. We made it clear we that we are not happy and we expect it to be done to our satisfaction. As we have already sent the owner a letter he is well aware of our situation, and will give no slack to anyone on this.

The saga will continue.


  1. Bill McHenry

    It is a shame that you two have had to go through this fiasco. On the positive side at least the RV dealer has accepted responsibility, are paying for your hotel so you and Melissa can be together (no more living on a shed), covering your deductible, and fixing a few other things. Good chance it will be done right this time. Good job. They now know never full with a retired NY Building Inspector

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s