We are now back home in Key Largo.

It has been an interesting last 5 days. Saturday, the park here closed, as the storm was upgraded to a warning, as a matter of fact only the state parks closed here in the keys. Everything else was open, i mean open????. We were allowed to stay till Sunday morning which we did. We traveled 190 miles in the rain and wind, up to Labelle Florida just east of Fort Myers. There we stayed at the Ortana corps of engineers park. We have stayed there before and they had a few spots open. You would think 190 miles away would be far enough to get out of the storms path, Nope, outer bands of rain and wind got us. It rained cats and dogs all Sunday, Sunday night and into Monday morning, with Sunday night gust of wind over 50 mph, the RV was rocking baby. Another volunteer couple Bob and Nicole from Colorado stayed at the park also. Sunday early evening she came over and brought us a huge amount of spaghetti, rigatoni, and garlic toast. She cooked all day, What a treat, it was very good. Monday things started to calm down. We decided to go into Labelle and have dinner, we asked Bob and Nicole if they wanted to join us ,and they did. We went to a place i found on the internet that had BBQ. It was called the Log cabin. What a surprise that was. Three of us had the pulled pork sandwich and Bob had the sliced beef sandwich. The dinners came with two sides. This was all for ten bucks each ,what a deal. It was great fun, we got to learn a lot about them and there life in Colorado. When we got back , we all had messages from the park, saying we could come back Tuesday. Since i had to gas up, we decided to have breakfast in town on Tuesday, of course we went to the log cabin, it was great. We then got all hooked up and traveled another 190 miles back to key Lago, just a lot of wind this time. We got to the park after three or so and learned the back gate had a giant tree fall on it. since this is the only way i can get into our spot here, we were told to go to site three for now, which we did. When we came to the volunteer village to look at the tree, we met up with Bob and Nicole. After talking to them and looking over the situation, they persuaded me to try and get into our spot from the front way, OH BOY. Hooked back up and proceeded to pull in, with not a lot of other volunteers here yet, i had room to swing wide, and after a few back and forths i was able to get in. Glad were in and don’t have to move again, Hopefully.

We were also suppose to have worked Monday and Tuesday, but with us out of the park!!!!. today Wednesday we both did work, Melissa was at the aquarium ,and i opened the park, then i had a thirty pound leaf blower strapped to my back all day, and blew my brains out cleaning the park roads of leaves and debris. I am tired tonight. We have the next five days off, but might work Friday to make up one of the days. We are both along with Cooper none the worse for wear, but don’t need to do this again.

Our spot at Ortana, mean looking clouds.
Our fabulous dinner from Bob and Nicole.
Our dinner joint
Tree down at the back gate.
Cooper having fun


  1. Bill McHenry

    You two sure have a story to tell. We are glad you two are safe. Hopefully this is the last of the Hurricanes/Tropical Storms for this season

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s